Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Adding another deep hive

For a week, I've been wondering when to add another deep hive.  My bees have been out of the hive quite a lot so I wondered how crowded it might be in the hive and was anxious to have another look yesterday.  Which I did.

They seem to have about 7 frames filled with brood cells, capped, and pollen cells, honey and nectar.  I also spotted a few queen cells.  I've read that this is nothing to worry about but if I see 8 of them, I should worry about the hive swarming.  I only saw about 3 of them but enough to wonder about it.  I also read that the timing of adding another deep hive is critical.  If you do it too late, the bees may swarm.  If you do it too early, they may get too cold and die. Eeeks.  I was nervous so before I did it, I came in and did a search on adding nucs to hives and how long before another box needed to be added for additional space.

The timing for someone buying a bee package seemed to be about 5 weeks.  It's only been a little over 3 weeks for me, but I bought a five-frame nuc so it should be earlier for me.  That is what decided me to add the box yesterday.  They are still there because I see a bunch outside the hive this morning already so I know it's not too cold for them.  Plus we're in a warm spell all week so the timing of this, I think, will be okay.

So now I have two deep hives and the top feeder.  You can see that they like to be outside when it's hot as the entrance reducer is only open about an inch (for a few more weeks).  Then I can give them a larger hole to come in and go out.


Yesterday, I had a mishap.  I dropped the first frame I had taken out, or partially dropped it and the bees were not happy at all!  I tried to use the tool to handle the frame, but lost control.  For all the rest of the frames, I used my hands and the tool only to separate each frame from the rest.  Then lifted it enough to be able to grab hold.  I don't want to drop another one again!

I also learned that I probably am not feeding them enough.  I generally make a batch of sugar syrup which I use 5 lbs. sugar and 2 quarts and 2 cups of water.  That makes enough for about 2.5 days.  Yet I've been waiting a week until I go back into the hive.  So now, I've already made more syrup and on Thursday, I will refill it, and then refill it again on Sunday.  That should be enough and they should begin making comb even faster.

One last thing.  The other night, I sat watching them with my binoculars and saw some of the bees wiggling real fast and that's the first time I saw this.  It's what they do to cool each other off.

A week after adding the new deep hive, I went to check my bees and they have already moved up and are actively building comb in the new deep hive.

No comments: