Thursday, May 10, 2012

Random thoughts on a rainy day

I'm watching this flowering cherry tree I planted a few years ago.  It's leaning towards the sun so that is telling me that it's too shady where it is.  I struggle with enough sunlight here on the side of a hill, surrounded by forest. I cleared more trees out this year to give a bit more sun, but it didn't affect that particular spot.  So, I'm going to move it, hopefully later today.  It's to the right of my pond now.  It's going to move about 35 feet to the east where it will get more sun.  As it grows, it'll fill in some open space without really shading anything too much.  It's quite beautiful in the spring when in bloom so it'll be fun watching that grow up. The one I planted in Kennebunk , below,  has matured and is just lovely, surrounded simply by lavender now.  And the lavender has matured too. In this shot, probably 5 years ago, I had iris's and something else that is pink and I have no idea what that was right now.  So that's the type of tree that will move today.

I want the tree in the right spot so it will flower and be a source of pollen and nectar for the bees.  Underneath this little tree to be transplanted, there's a spreading flowering strawberry plant that blooms in hot pink.  I will move that along with the tree which will provide some color on that slope.  I'm trying to add as much ground cover as possible on the slope so that I won't have to mow it anymore...someday.

No comments: