Sunday, May 13, 2012

First bee checkup

Today I can go into the hive and check the status of the bees!  I've had them in the hive 8 days now.  So I'll get ready and do this shortly, before the bees come back into the hive.  I'm told it's best to do this during the day while the bees are out gathering.

For the past several days, I've been watching the bees drink the water I left for them.  I used an old leaky birdbath, that is low to the ground.  I lined it with a plastic plant tray so it will hold water.  Then I added a bunch of rocks, making sure some of them rise above the water line so the bees can stand on the rock while drinking.  Or they can stand on the ledge to drink.  They can't swim so you need to provide them with something to stand on so they can drink.  There is always at least one bee drinking from their "bowl". See how this little guy is on the ledge? I need to remember to keep this filled.  I do have a stream down the hill where they can find water.  I also have a small garden pond that they can use in a pinch.  But my birdbath bowl will be their safest bet.


These scattered rocks give them enough places to stand where they can safely drink.

This week the bees drank all the syrup water I put into the top of the hive.  On Thursday, I felt I needed to check on the syrup to make sure they had enough to eat. It was totally gone.  So I added the rest that I had in the fridge and went out to buy more sugar.  Then I made another batch that is in the refrigerator waiting to add.  I'm sure I'll need to add all of it today.  And then I'll need to make some more.  Perhaps I'd better start buying sugar in bulk...at least, for this year.  This year, they'll need the diet supplement.

Ok.  It's 3PM and I just finished checking my bees.  Then, I came in and read Beekeeping for Dummies and I did the inspection all wrong!

I was supposed to remove the first frame and put it aside, to leave space for maneuvering the other 9 frames.  Instead, I removed about 3 frames toward the middle.  I used the smoker successfully this time as well, thanks to Jody and Dean Turner at Imagine that honey in Swanzy, NH.   Dean did a great demonstration last week that was very helpful.

I need to read my book PRIOR to going to the hives!  But I still feel like it was a good visit.  I saw capped brood.  I saw plenty of larvae.  I didn't see the queen though.  Maybe I would have if I had looked at every frame.

I did see some extra comb "growing" out of the top of the frames so I used my hive tool and got rid of it.  I've put it in a plastic bag...this is the beginning of my honeycomb collection that I hope to use over the winter to make candles.

It's odd that I don't feel fearful at all.  There was a time when I never would have imagined myself doing this.  But so far, I've enjoyed it a lot. 

And I do think I'll have a honey crop this year.  Stay tuned.

No comments: