Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mowing the lawn or not

Because of my bees and my love of flowers, mowing the lawn becomes painful at times.  I fluctuate between wanting a neat lawn and wanting all blooming weeds to be there to feed the bees. And to look at.

So, as I mow, I am on the lookout for plants that might be starting to grow.  Today I mowed around many wild daisy clumps so that they are there for me to pick and the bees to pollinate.  You can see that  my lawn has lots of weeds. :)



I have a groundcover weed on my lawn that is now blooming a pretty blue flower, so I mowed around those patches too. And then there's this yellow flowering weed I mowed around in a few spots as well.


And this delicate white and blue flower is all over my lawn so I didn't mow half the lawn waiting for these to pass by.  They are so pretty.


Meanwhile I've planted clover so that when that blooms, it will attract the bees and I will avoid mowing as long as I can to leave that food for the bees.

I understand that bees fly up to three miles away gathering pollen and nectar but it's still difficult to mow down flowers they could use.

No comments: