Monday, May 14, 2012

On getting stung on Mother's Day

Well, it wasn't me that got stung.  It was my daughter.  My grandson wanted to see the bees so we went over to the fence (that I had turned off so he wouldn't get a jolt) and watched them buzzing around the entrance to the hive and he was asking me questions.

My daughter comes over and is watching too, but she's not been a fan of this project of mine because she sees bees as 'just bugs'. She's skeptical about the whole endeavor.

A few minutes later, I wandered off to go get my granddaughter and all of a sudden, I see my daughter running and waving her arms and onto my porch and into the house screaming "get it off"!

Sure enough, she had a bee on her back and got stung as a result (from her flailing around, most likely).  I felt terrible but also thought it was kind of funny.  I guess you'd have to know my brilliant, smart, beautiful daughter...but she's very strong-minded and when she gets it into her head that she doesn't like something...well watch out!  Anyway...she got stung.

What I would do differently next time is this.  We should never have been standing right in front of the hive, even though we were 6 feet away from it.  That's their traveling route.  We should have been off to the side of the hive, out of their path.  That's the main lesson here.  Don't stand in front of the hive!  And maybe I'd better get another bee outfit for guests who want to get close to the bees.  I just hope this didn't traumatize them too much.

No harm done.  My grandson was very calm through it all.  My granddaughter was clueless and never knew what happened.  But she's only two :).


No comments: